Saturday, November 6, 2010

My goals for this week

We are only just getting started and already I feel so behind! My plan is to sit down this week and convert an old whiteboard we have into a daily goals chart for things we'd like to accomplish each day with BC. At the moment I'm having trouble finding the time to sit down and write out the list of things we'd like to accomplish, let along actually accomplish them! Not good. Definitely not good. So my goal for the next few days (which are busy enough!) is to set the list up and then to start achieving these goals. So far the list reads 'show 5 sets of 5 word cards 3x per day'........................................ And that is as far as I've gotten. Oh dear!

So while I am out of the house babysitting a friends children (while my bub sleeps at home with Daddy), I shall try and finish writing out my list! That is, in between writing on my blog and writing lots on the parenting forums I'm a part of! Oh and trying to get some sleep as it's nearly 11pm here and we have a big day at the Museum tomorrow! I'd also really like to finish reading the 'How to Give Your Child Encyclopedic Knowledge' book too! We have finished the 'How to Teach Your Child Math' book as well and will therefore be able to add this to our daily goals. We have been sporadically doing the reading and maths programs for some time now but I want to add more structure to this (for my sake) and need to do a better job of updating the words and numbers so as not to bore BC. We do lots of vestibular exercises with BC daily but I'd also like to add a bit more structure to this through our goals chart, just to make sure we are covering all bases.

Hopefully we will get the program more organised in the coming days, that is, in between the museum, a family birthday dinner, dentist appointment, mother's group, a full day of work for mummy, a seminar, swimming and gymbaroo.... Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Gymbaroo is a program available here in Australia that involves music, singing, physical activities, vestibular exercises and visual tracking to name a few. On their website they say 'learn lots of insights about early childhood development, and have lots of fun with this structured program that lays solid foundations for school years'. We are having a great time but I'm not sure we'll continue next term. I'll blog about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aussie mom of one,

    I got very excited when I came across your blog because like you I am starting my baby on an early educational program. Could I ask you how old is your baby? I was wondering if you bought all the Doman encyclopedic cards? If so where did u buy it from?Are you into making your own flash cards? If so where did u get the flash card paper from?

    Thanks a lot for your help,
    Regards,
    Soumya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soumya, no we don't have any of the Doman encyclopedic knowledge cards, the postage out to Australia on top of their cost is just too much for us. I am currently making my own, using normal A4 printer paper and laminating them. I will include this in my description of my materials for you! BC has just gone five months old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a ton for ur reply :)
    Well, you are right, its way too expensive to buy the cards online. I am planning to make my own but I am not sure how to laminate the normal A4 paper. If you can explain it that will be great.I am currently preparing the doman dot cards. I have another question for u....with the word cards...is it important to have the picture of the item describing the word? I am looking forward to your new posts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure! For our encyclopedic knowledge and math dot cards we printed the dots/pictures and words onto A4 paper using our colour printer here at home. Then I laminate them using a cheap laminator we bought from Kmart or OfficeWorks here. Any big general department store or stationary supply store should sell laminator machines and laminating pouches. I paid $30AUD for the laminator I think. The paper is inserted into the laminating pouch and then rolled through the machine which heat sets the pouch. This is a similar machine to the one we have http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Conference-and-Presentation/Laminating/Laminating-Machines/Pouch-Laminating/LOLAMMACA4

    When I'm showing BC words as in reading, I only show the word but for encyclopedic knowledge, I've laminated two pages back to back, one side with the word and the other with the image. Sometimes I just show the picture and sometimes the word and picture. Does this make sense? I'm hoping to finish my daily goals chart today and will blog about it when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete